Monday, July 26, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: A Hefty 'I Am Number Four' Excerpt Is Now Online

EXCLUSIVE: A Hefty 'I Am Number Four' Excerpt Is Now Online
I read "I Am Number Four" a few weeks ago and it was a delightful experience. There's been a rush on to find the next "Harry Potter," the next "Twilight," the next big ongoing adult-and-child-friendly literary series, and here we have one of the strongest contenders I've seen. "Number Four" shifts away from the fantasy [...]

I read "I Am Number Four" a few weeks ago and it was a delightful experience. There's been a rush on to find the next "Harry Potter," the next "Twilight," the next big ongoing adult-and-child-friendly literary series, and here we have one of the strongest contenders I've seen. "Number Four" shifts away from the fantasy seen in "Potter" and "Twilight," looking instead to another genre which is particularly well-suited to epic storytelling: science fiction. The tale is credited to author Pittacus Lore, an alien life form who, along with a small group of others, escaped the destruction of his homeworld by a malevolent race, the Mogadorians.

Like "Harry Potter," "I Am Number Four" succeeds by slowly introducing you to its unique universe, learning about the lost planet of Lorien and its culture through the eyes of a young man who escaped the destruction. The first book (oh yeah, it's a series) ends with some key questions answered, but many new ones raised. It hits stores on August 3, with an adaptation starring Alex Pettyfer arriving in theaters early next year.

I'm here today to exclusively share with you a link to a new excerpt that HarperCollins released today. The first nine chapters, roughly 20% of the book, have been dropped into a PDF for a quick and easy download at this link. Just right-click (or Ctrl-click on a Mac) and select Save Target As to capture the file. I'm also here to let you know that MTV will exclusively be speaking with "I Am Number Four" director DJ Caruso this week, to bring you some of the first news on the still-shooting 2011 release. It's a big week for "I Am Number Four" as that 8/3 release date draws even closer. Check out the excerpt at the link above and stay tuned to MTV News see what Caruso has to say about the film.

For those who are curious, here's the official synopsis from HarperCollins:

In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth.

I AM NUMBER FOUR.
I AM NEXT




AnnaLynne McCord
Kate Beckinsale

No comments:

Post a Comment