Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lady Gaga Opens Up About Her Health Issues In Rolling Stone

Lady Gaga Opens Up About Her Health Issues In Rolling Stone

'I make much more of an effort now to minimize the drama or the stress,' she says of lupus running in her family.
By James Montgomery


Lady Gaga on the July 2010 issue of Rolling Stone
Photo: Rolling Stone

Earlier this month, Lady Gaga frightened fans when she revealed to Larry King that she had been tested for lupus and that results had shown she was "borderline positive" for the disease.

"Lupus is in my family and it's genetic, and it's funny, 'cause my mother told me the other day that my fans were quite worried about me, because I did talk about the fact that I was tested for lupus," Gaga told King. "And the truth is, I don't show any signs, any symptoms of lupus, but I have tested borderline positive for the disease. So as of right now, I don't have it. But I do have to take good care of myself."

And in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone magazine — which hits newsstands Friday — Gaga expounds even further on her condition, telling writer Neil Strauss that she doesn't want her fans to worry about the disease and that she's already taking steps to ensure she'll remain healthy in the midst of her seemingly endless world tour.

"It's more making sure that I reduce stress in my life to make sure I don't develop [the disease]," she said. "I make much more of an effort now to minimize the drama or the stress. ... I take care of myself. I drink and still live my life, but I could never let my fans down. That would kill me to have to face that extra obstacle every day to get onstage. It's completely terrifying, so I'm just really focused on mind, body and soul."

Gaga also said that, though she's been tested for lupus, she's not interested in following doctor's orders when it comes to preventing the disease. Rather, since lupus is thought to be hereditary, she's sought the advice of her family on how to live.

"It's in my family, so I don't really listen to doctors very much when it comes to it, because it's so personal," she said. "I talk to people that I know that have it or my father, whose sister died from it. There's nothing to worry about, but I do get very tired sometimes, and I naturally wonder [about the disease]."

And to that end, Gaga admitted to Strauss that she does worry sometimes about the effect her schedule (and her fame) has on her health but that she continues to press on, no matter what those closest to her may be saying.

"I don't want to be [a hypochondriac], so most of the time, I'm like, 'F--- it, I'm fine,' " Gaga told Strauss. "At a certain point, you're so beyond the point of exhaustion that you don't know: Do I have a health problem that may or may not be real, or am I just really tired?"

Are you worried about Gaga's well-being? Let us know in the comments.

Related Photos Related Artists


Anna Paquin
Kristen Bell
Lauren Conrad

No comments:

Post a Comment